Friday, July 15, 2005

Abraham gone bye-bye

Thanks Donnie for the notice.

Two weeks before training camp starts, the Jets gaping hole in the secondary got even bigger. Who knew that was possible? Donnie Abraham FINALLY decided to retire, his agent announced yesterday.

Donnie waiting so long into the off season really created a stir in the Jets Organization. Apparently, most of the front office thought he was coming back for one more season. Why did they think that? Who knows, Donnie never really said that. Group think I guess. These guys would be perfect working for the CIA.

Anyway, the Jets immediately traded a sixth round pick to Dallas for a Bill Parcells reject, Pete Hunter. Who? He fell into Parcells' bad graces because he refused to move to safety last year. That's great, another safety caliber player playing cornerback for the Jets. What speed he must have.

Ty Law looks like a possibility. I read in the Daily News this morning that he is asking $6M per season. If they Jets give a 31 year old with a bad foot $6M a year, they really are fools, and will be even much better CIA candidates.

I do really want Ty Law on my team though. I think he's a good defensive leader, and still has some gas in the tank. But I would only want him if the asking price gets much much lower.

2 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Mike,

I'm actually more concerned about that gap in the middle of the defensive line than I am about the defensive backfield right now.

Especially when you consider the dearth of quality passing offenses in the league, and the lack of high-flying aerial attacks on their schedule in particular.

I see Kansas City, San Diego, Denver, Carolina, Oakland and the two Pats games as the real trouble spots for their secondary. That's less than half their schedule. I didn't include Atlanta, b/c it's not Vick's arm that you have to worry about necessarily. And I'm not ready to be intimidated or worried about J.P. Losman.

And I was a little generous with a couple of teams there: Jake Plummer and Kerry Collins, while formidable some weeks, aren't going to be having the Jets losing sleep.

Their secondary was pretty pedestrian last year, but a good defensive coordinator (which they have now, thank goodness) can make up for that a little with the right schemes. Plus, Barrett looks like he's going to be a player, so it's not like it's a truly weak unit.

I would say their secondary is a concern, but not something that I think is going to be this team's downfall. Ty Law or no Ty Law.

JZ

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Thanks for the comment!

When it comes down to it, I think the Jets have at least one good player out of the two players in the middle of the defensive line. One question mark, and some backup question marks.

However, in the secondary, I consider all 3 (or 4 if you question Erik Coleman) positions in the secondary as "up in the air", and weak.

The Jets strong linebacker work can make up for things lacking in depth in the middle of the D line.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm not worried about both situations.

How much can we complain though? It's obvious (by your point) that we have a great defensive coordinator that can probably handle hiding all these weaknesses.

And more importantly, we have to focus on how this offense will come together, with a new coach, an aging running back, and a weak armed (and getting weaker?) quarterback.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home