Friday, July 30, 2004

First Day of Practice

Today is the first day of practice, and there was a few items of interest in the papers this morning, but nothing big.

The rest of the Jets draft picks were signed yesterday, including Jerricho Cotchery.  Meanwhile, I learned that Cotchery has had a hamstring problem in the last few weeks and maybe slowed a little in the first few practices.  Not a good start for my favorite late round pick.

I wrote yesterday about Herman Edwards changing personality.  He responded to this yesterday in his press conference:

"The big buzz is that I've changed. Well, you're wrong, I haven't changed at all.  I'm a little bit more detailed and a little bit more matter-of-fact, but my personality, my passion for football, hasn't changed a bit....If you expect me to starting running around, hollering and cussing and scolding players in the newspapers, I'm not going to do that."

I'm going to stop making a big deal out of this.  Herman can change all he wants, as long as he makes a run at a playoff spot this year, I'll be happy.  With the Dolphins in a state of shambles, that expectation is certainly be more likely than a week ago.

All the talk this morning around the paper scene is of Chad Pennington's contract and Wayne Chrebet.  Chad and the team has set a September 1st deadline for getting a deal done.  If it isn't worked out by then, talks will be tabled until the end of the season.  I'm not worried, it will get done before or after the season.  Chad isn't going anywhere.

As for Chrebet, he is insisting that he will start training camp at 100%, and will play that way.  This is opposed to the reports yesterday that he will not overwork himself and "end his career" in training camp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home